Thursday, June 26, 2008

Santiago, the first week...

The philosopher Ludwig von Wittgenstein once famously wrote

If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing important would ever get done.


Wittgenstein, heir to an Austrian fortune, wrote almost entirely in English, and because of this, had a very nuanced perspective on language. I am beginning to understand where Wittgenstein was coming from when I read his works. Nothing broadens the mind like learning something very difficult, and language is one of them. I remember reading a cognitive study whose results suggested that when we learn something new, special ¨reward¨hormones in our glands are fired off and give us a high-like effect that´s mildly addictive. I am not surprised.

Today, a Thursday afternoon, is the warmest it has ever been. Not a cloud in the sky and the smog was barely noticable. But I am not enjoying it in the least, because I have been studying for tomorrow´s exam all day. Anyways, I´m taking a break to type up a small report on what has been going on. But I believe I will go backwards...

In the first entry, I wrote that food is very expensive. I want to reassert that fact right now: I think 90% of my money is going to food. Last night I went to a bar with my ¨brothers¨ and a friend, and was surprised to find the prices very managable, the food delicious and in large quantities. The bill, for four grown men, came to only twenty thousand pesos (around forty dollars)! Then I found out one of the brothers, Corke, was childhood friends with the manager and gave a ridiculous discount. I also found out last night that Corke IS Jorge, Corke is his nickname. And there aren´t three brothers, there are only two and I mistook this friend of their family as one of them.

Uh-oh, the bell rang and students are gonna want to use the computer and I feel bad cause I have been on so long. Alright, chau pescados.

In art, it is difficult to say something as good as saying nothing.

No comments: