Monday, July 21, 2008

Another day, another coffee

I know I am still learning language. Well, in theory. But it feels like I'm not learning anything anymore. Dan Erb told me that he heard some languages like French start hard and get easier, Spanish starts easy and gets harder. I believe it. This language is really tough to come even close to mastering. Here's a reason (I might have given this example in an older post, I can't remember), while English combines words to make new ones, Spanish invents totally new words. For instance, say we have this new type of potato that is sweet rather than the typical bland taste, what do we call it? How about sweet potatoes? But in Spanish, it's a completely new word - batatas - which is never found in any other case other than for sweet potatoes. Or how about homework (Home + Work) = tarea. Anyways, vocabulary is one thing, but the grammar is very rigid; so even though I might be able to understand everything, expressing myself correctly is quite a challenge.

No comments: