Tuesday, July 8, 2008

On Food, pt. 2

Yesterday I stayed home sick with the cold. I wasn't terribly ill or anything, but I remained in bed because having bronchitis or pneumonia in a foreign country can be pretty dangerous and I didn't want anything to progress to that. Today I awoke refreshed and fine - just a little runny nose.

Anyways, I am dedicating another post to Chilean food. This is now updated and revised to fit the most recent taste bud information. The number next to each item is a ranking on a scale of 1 - 10.

Completos (hotdogs) (2). I have changed my mind, I do not like Chilean hotdogs. They are very messy and overall quite tasteless.

Pizza (8). The pizzas here do not claim to immitate US standards. No, these pizzas are Chilean through and through. And delicious. They go light with the cheese, even lighter with the sauce, and heavy with the extra indgredients. ¡Bakan!

Choripan (7). Delicious sausage links inside bread that resemble (though not entirely) hot dogs in sight, but in taste they are completely unique. Highly recommended to go to your grocery store and buy a pack of Choripan if you're ever down here.

Chocolate (10). The chocolate down here is amazing. Except chocolate syrup, that's awful. But you won't believe how good it gets.

Pisco (4). I am sick of Pisco, which is, if you remember, the native beverage for Chileans. It's dirt cheap and used with nearly every meal, but I was tired of it after meal number 4. There are a wide variety of Pisco recipes, but the one my family prefers is vodka, egg white and distilled mangos that make a soury concoction that I loved at first, and now loathe.

Churrascos (sandwiches) (8). The sandwiches are just as tastey as ever. And there are many different kinds. An absolute requirement to sample at least three of four times. My personal favorite is the Churrasco Italiano, but they're all good. Be careful, though, if you don't like mayonaise. Usually around one to two CUPS of mayonaise is applied to make it a fork and knife meal. Hands off.

Carne Asada (steaks) (3). They have zero conception of how to cook a steak. I have had it a few times, always dissapointed.

Jugos de las Frutas (fruit beverages) (10). Amazing varieties, and very different. Each and every one of them.

Okay, gotta go. Bye

No comments: