Monday, July 28, 2008

On Music

I decided to assemble a short list of music that seems to be conjured whenever I think of Chile. Call it a soundtrack to the country, if you will. The criteria for this list is two-fold. First, it has to be popular. Popular enough that you might hear it walking down the street. The more popular a song is the higher I'll place it. Second, I have to enjoy it. That part is important too.

Of course, with that sort of criteria you'd expect the mayoría of this list to be reggaeton. Firstly, cause reggaeton is the lingua franca of music down here, and secondly cause I happen to like it. So your expectations would be fulfilled - I'm not dando jugo when I say that.

1. Las Dalmatas - Fotogenica (Reggaeton)
Yeah, I happen to like this song a lot and Chile seems to as well. The Mexican group gets plenty of airplay down here.



2. Babasónicos - Pijamas (Indie)
If you hate reggaeton maybe you'll like Indie-Postrock: enter Babasónicos, the Argentinian rock group.



3. Los Bunkers - Y Volveré (Rock)

Los Bunkers is pretty darn good, but this song is only marginal at best. Well, it's best I could do in this short amount of time. Perhaps I'll edit this and put a better Los Bunkers song on.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pH4m0Hv9DXM

No comments: