Monday, August 4, 2008

La Serena, day 3

La Serena is a little boring, I won't lie. But I would love living here - it's quiet and beautiful and the weather is perfect year round. It's kind of like an American suburb had been plopped down and became its own city.

Today I awoke and planned on going to Valle de Elqui, but had last minute second thoughts and decided against it. Not because of money, but because of time and transportation. I worried that with the few hours I would have there, I wouldn't be able to see very much on foot. Perhaps if I had a car.

The reason my friends are staying in La Serena is that they are apartment shopping. That's right, they are moving to La Serena. So today I decided to go apartment shopping with them instead of Valle de Elqui. It was an interesting experience - and they found what I think is a nice place, and very affordable.

To close this post, I will give another update on Chilean slang (swearing this time):

Fome - Boring
Besadora - Asshole
Wea - Shit
Gringolandia - United States of America
Ropa vieja - lit. old cloths, it means leftovers
Dando Jugo - lit. giving juice, it means someone who talks a lot but says nothing
Me carga... - I hate...
Chatear - To chat
Poncear - To make out
Lancear - To steal
Carretear - To party, comes from the word for highway
Cacho (caxo) - I understand
Bacán - Cool
No caxo esa wea - I don't get this shit
Palolo(a) - Boyfriend, girlfriend
Bruja - Wife

No comments: